For years we have been warned to be prepared in the event of a disaster, whether it occurs far and wide to the general population or is an event that creates crisis in our immediate family. I have been working in spurts for a number of years to be sure I have some food on hand. Recently the bishopric in our ward at church decided to challenge the members. They are randomly selecting families in our congregation to live off their food storage for a specified period of time. No shopping allowed! We can call someone who lives nearby and ask for help if we need it, but we are not to rely on the stores. I was excited by the challenge but didn't expect to be asked to do this for 2 solid weeks! (We thought it was going to be 1 week!) So here we are, baking bread and making powdered milk. And we are eating well because we do have some things on hand. I really wish for a garden, and we will probably miss out on a couple of small things, but where there's plenty of toilet paper and a little chocolate, there will be relative peace.
Last night we had a food storage meal that was yummy. I dressed it up a little bit and it was better than the other times I've tried it.
Here's the basic recipe:

flour tortillas
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 can diced potatoes, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
Mix the contents of the cans in a skillet over medium-high heat until heated through. Serve in tortillas.
I actually diced half an onion, browned it in the skillet and then added the contents of the cans. I added some cumin and an additional can of light red kidney beans. Then I added some pieces of bell pepper for color. You could serve this with sour cream or salsa... whatever you like. Feeds a small army. Pretty good!
3 comments:
I'm going to do the challenge with my family. I think that it will be very telling.
I know that my in-laws were very excited to be part of the challenge. Well, at least my father-in-law was excited. :)
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Good for you Melody! I am going to trade some bread and wheat flour for a couple of small things today or tomorrow. It's nice that I don't 'need' them... but I have enough that I can do this because I want to and have something that someone else wants! I am actually having fun!
Way to go! Proud of you! What an inspiration you are to the rest of us!
Post a Comment